One S’more Summer Blog Tour – Review

5 June, 2017 / 1 Comment

I’m excited to bring you a post all about the One S’more Summer by Beth Merlin!

About the Book

One S’more Summer by Beth Merlin

Since that first bus ride to Camp Chinooka twenty long years ago, Gigi Goldstein has been pining for her best friend’s guy. She knows her crush is wrong and has to stop, but her heart won’t listen to reason. To escape the agony of their impending wedding, Gigi accepts a summer job at the only place she’s ever been happy.

But working at Chinooka isn’t all campfire songs and toasting marshmallows. Gigi’s girls are determined to make her look bad in front of the boys’ Head Counselor—the sexy but infuriating Perry—and every inch of the campground is laced with memories.

When Gigi realizes she can’t fix the present by hiding in the past, she’s forced to reexamine her choices. Maybe everything she thought she wanted wasn’t what she actually needed… But if she can get her act together, Gigi might have one last shot at the summer love of her dreams.



This book was pretty decent. It kept my interest about 70% of the time. The other 30% I found myself skimming.

Gigi is an interesting character. She’s not normally a character I would like or even sympathize much with. She’s the other woman in an affair affecting her best friend. Well, technically, her friend (Alicia) and Joshua were broken up temporarily, but it still feels like an affair. But she is so vulnerable and taken advantage of by Joshua that I do find myself sympathizing for her throughout the book. I still don’t find her overly likeable, though.

The story was okay. It wasn’t anything incredible, but wasn’t bad either. It’s just a nice little romance to read.

There are flashbacks throughout the book that I thought were done well. All too often in books, flashbacks are not done well and can be a bit awkward or even confusing. They were done smoothly in this book, however.

About the Author

Beth Merlin has a BA from The George Washington University where she minored in Creative Writing and a JD from New York Law School. She’s a native New Yorker who loves anything Broadway, rom-coms, her daughter Hadley, and a good maxi dress. She was introduced to her husband through a friend she met at sleepaway camp and considers the eight summers she spent there to be some of the most formative of her life. One S’more Summer is Beth’s debut novel.

Connect with the author:

Website | Facebook | Twitter

Other Posts You Might Like

Posted 5 June, 2017 by Sam in Book Reviews, Books / 1 CommentTags: , , , , , , ,

Like what you see? Subscribe and get posts like this delivered to your inbox!

One Response to “One S’more Summer Blog Tour – Review”

Leave a Reply